District Communications Guide
District Communications Guide
Solvay Union Free School District
We develop confident, continual learners who are caring community members.
299 Bury Drive
Syracuse, NY 13209
The Solvay Union Free School District strives to provide accurate and timely information and news to the entire school district community on a regular basis through the following methods:
- District Website - www.solvayschools.org
For the latest District news, visit the District’s website by scanning the QR code at right.
- SchoolMessenger Notification System -
The District uses this message system for important notifications to parents, as well as emergency messages, such as school closings. Messages are sent via the telephone and emails. You can also opt in to receive these notifications as text messages.
To opt in to receive text messages, provide your child’s school with your cell phone number and/or email address for the student database, Schooltool. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message.
Please note that the District does not pay for text message charges that may be incurred by you for sending or receiving text messages. Check with your wireless carrier for possible charges.
- The Sentinel - District Newsletter
The District publishes The Sentinel, four times a year. The newsletter which is mailed to District households. The Sentinel will keep you up to date on student and staff achievement, District programs, initiatives, and events.
The parent portal enables parents and legal guardians of students in grades K-12 to review the following information online: attendance, discipline, report card grades, progress reports, extracurricular activities and transcripts.
Please Note: The District does not issue hard copies of report cards. All report card grades are posted in the parent portal four times a year.
Accessing your student’s online school records is a simple matter.
- Provide the district with a current email address to access the parent portal. Your email address is your username for the parent portal.
If you have never provided your email address to the district for the student database, please contact your child’s school and provide your current email address. Ask the school to create a parent portal account and generate a password for you. The system will then send you an email with a password to use for logging in.
If you have more than one child in school: You only need to contact one school to have your email address added to the database for all of your children.
- You can access the parent portal on the District’s website, www.solvayschools.org. Under the Parent Resource (under District menu), click on the Schooltool button.
- Where it ask for Username type in the email address you provided the District for the student database.
- Type in your password.
- Changing the password – If this is your first log in, now would be a good time to change the password to a different one if you would like to.
To change a password, simply click on the Account sub tab, enter your current password in the Old Pass- word box, then the new desired password (twice). Click on the Change Password button to finalize the change.
AFTER LOGGING IN
A parent will be presented with a screen containing three tabs:
- Students: A listing of all students that “belong” to the logged-in parent. After selecting a student, you will be able to view the student’s basic personal information as well as information on contacts, schedule, attendance, grades, assignments, assessments and letters.
- Campus: General information
- Account: Click on this tab to change your password. To end the session, click Logout in the module bar, or simply close the browser window.