Districts are not permitted to accept ballots through alternative means such as drop off boxes after 5 pm on June 9, 2020. All other ballots must arrive through the USPS.
You must fill out both sides of the ballot envelope and sign & date the statement of absentee voter in order for your ballot to count.
Anonymity of Absentee Ballots
Many people are concerned that by submitting their absentee ballot in an envelope that requires them to put their name, address and signature, that their vote decisions will not be anonymous. Please be assured that every ballot is separated from the envelopes they are returned in prior to the ballots being unfolded and subsequently tallied. The following is a brief description of the steps taken for this process:
1. We use your name and address on the envelope to confirm you are a qualified voter.
2. At 5:00 p.m. we will open all envelopes and separate the folded ballots from the envelopes.
3. The ballots will then be unfolded and divided between our teams for tabulation.
4. The teams will tally their portion of the absentee ballots.
7. All subtotals of ballots will be combined to generate the final vote totals.
8. The vote totals will be announced, transmitted to the media and reported on our website.
Any qualified voter may challenge the qualifications of an individual casting an absentee ballot.
The basis for challenges includes:
· Voter is not 18 years old as of June 9, 2020;
· Voter is not a United States citizen;
· Voter has not been a District resident for 30 days prior to June 9, 2020; and
· Voter not eligible under section 5-106 of the Election Law.
A list of all persons to whom absentee ballots were issued will be made available if the request is made to the firstname.lastname@example.org
. Challenges must then be received in writing by June 16th
at 5pm and must include the following: your name, your address, the name of the voter whose eligibility you are challenging & the reason for the challenge. Before opening any envelopes, the Election Inspector will review any written objections received.